State and National News
Visit our State and National News page!
- 2/26/2020 MASBHC Webinar: Strategies and Resources to Build a Multi-tiered Approach to Trauma-Informed Schools — How can practitioners and school systems build trauma-informed schools for their students? On Feb. 26, 2020, MASBHC was pleased to present an informative webinar on this topic from Sharon Hoover, Ph.D., co-director of the National Center for School Mental Health. This webinar included both Dr. Hoover’s expert guidance and a number of freely available resources, and the entire presentation can now be viewed online!
- 4/29/2020 MASBHC Webinar: Neisseria meningitidis Disease State Overview — MASBHC was pleased to present an informative presentation on neisseria meningitidis, commonly known as meningococcal disease. Pilar B. Snowden, Ph.D. provided attendees with an overview of the disease, including transmission, risk factors, clinical manifestations, and diagnosis, treatment, and prevention strategies. This webinar was not recorded, but slides from the presentation are available upon request to email@example.com.
- 5/14/2020 MASBHC Annual Conference — Our 2020 Technical Assistance Day, Pathways to Resilient Students, has been postponed and will not be held on the previously-announced date of May 14, 2020. Please stay tuned for more information and additional virtual technical assistance opportunities.
Online Professional Development Opportunities
- 6/9/20 at 1:30-3:00pm (EST) School Mental Health Planning for the 2020-2021 School Year During COVID-19. This webinar will help school, district, and state education and behavioral health leaders plan for the mental health needs of the entire school community (including students, school staff and families) and implement multitiered health promotion, prevention and intervention supports and services in the 2020-2021 school year. Presenting Organizations include: The National Center for School Mental Health, Kaiser Permanente Thriving Schools, the National Association of School Nurses and the UCSF Health Environments and Response to Trauma in Schools. Register Here.
- School-Based Substance Use Identification and Intervention Training: Maryland’s Behavioral Health Administration funds free, online training for school-based substance use identification/intervention (Screening, Brief Intervention, Referral to Treatment = SBIRT). This training is available for all Maryland school support staff (e.g., school psychologists, counselors, social workers, nurses, SBHC staff, community-partnered school mental health clinicians), and is a highly-interactive, skill-based training that takes 60-90 minutes to complete. For more information or to access the training, view the program flier (Adobe Acrobat required).
- 7/15-9/15/2020 The 2020 Virtual School Health Interdisciplinary Program: “Addressing the Needs of the Whole Child: What works in School Health and Wellness.” For more information and to register, visit SHIP’s website.
- 10/29-10/31/2020 Annual Conference on Advancing School Mental Health: Equitable and Effective School Mental Health — Join the National Center for School Mental Health for its 25th annual conference, Oct. 29-31 in Baltimore! For more details and to register, visit the conference website.
Kirwan Commission Webinar
On August 12, 2019, MASBHC participated in a webinar outlining the numerous recommendations for school health services and school-based health centers made by the the Commission on Innovation and Excellence in Education (Kirwan Commission). We are pleased to present here the slides from that webinar. Many thanks to our partners in this endeavor, including the Maryland Dental Action Coalition (MDAC), the Maryland Nurses Association (MNA), and Public Policy Partners (PPP).
For more news, visit our State and National News page.