State and National News
Visit our State and National News page!
- 2/26/2020 MASBHC Webinar: Strategies and Resources to Build a Multi-tiered Approach to Trauma-Informed Schools — How can practitioners and school systems build trauma-informed schools for their students? On Feb. 26, 2020, MASBHC was pleased to present an informative webinar on this topic from Sharon Hoover, Ph.D., co-director of the National Center for School Mental Health. This webinar included both Dr. Hoover’s expert guidance and a number of freely available resources, and the entire presentation can now be viewed online!
- 5/14/2020 MASBHC Annual Conference — Our 2020 Technical Assistance Day, Pathways to Resilient Students, will be May 14, 2020 at The Meeting House in Columbia, Maryland. More details are available now on the conference page, and registration will open March 2, 2020!
Continuing Education Opportunities and Webinars
- 3/3/2020 Parent Engagement in SBHCs: Adolescents and parents go hand-in-hand when talking about teen health care. Join this webinar to learn strategies to enhance the clinic experience for youth and parents alike, no matter if they are the “over-engaged” parent or the “under-engaged” parent. Content will include best practices for adolescent confidentiality as well as how to navigate tricky conversations with parents and adolescents. This School-Based Health Alliance webinar will be presented by Valerie Gavrila, MPH Program Coordinator at the Adolescent Health Initiative, Ann Arbor, MI. There is no cost to attend; registration is now open online.
- 3/19/2020 Addressing Social Determinants of Health Using Motivational Interviewing Strategies: This interactive webinar presented by the School-Based Health Alliance is unique in that it is focused on use of Motivational Interviewing (MI) strategies when addressing social determinants of health affecting youth graduation rates. It was designed specifically for SBHC professionals dedicated to identifying and reducing SDOH risk factors. Through discussion, activities and video this webinar will introduce you to MI strategies in real world practice to improve your ability to identify SDOH risk, communicate effectively with youth and motivate them toward positive, healthier choices. More information will be provided at the end of the webinar on taking these introductory skills to the next level at the annual SBHA Conference in June. Free! For details and to register, visit the event’s website.
- 3/31/2020 Strengths Based Approaches to Adolescent Sexual Health and Being an Askable Adult: Discussing sexuality and sexual activity with young people can be challenging, and research shows that health care providers can have a significant impact on health outcomes when adequately addressing these sensitive topics with their adolescent patients. This webinar will discuss and instruct about strengths-based approaches to sexual health counseling and services. This approach supports the idea that staff and providers in varied healthcare roles can create a climate where young people are more likely to discuss their sexual health openly and honestly. This session will also help participants identify strategies of being an askable adult to help empower youth and help them feel comfortable asking for your support. Presented by Lauren Leslie, the MPH Program Coordinator at the Adolescent Health Initiative in Ann Arbor. For more details and to register, visit the event’s registration page.
- 6/23-6/25/2020 National School-Based Health Care Convention — The 2020 National School-Based Health Care Convention will be held June 23-25 at the Sheraton Denver Downtown in Denver, Colorado. Join the School-Based Health Alliance, the Colorado Association for School-Based Health Care, and your peers from around the nation for three days of engaging workshops, networking, and fun! The theme for the meeting is “School-Based Health Care: Elevating a School Climate of Health and Safety.” Registration opens March 2, 2020; for more details, including registration fees and room block information, visit SBH4All’s website.
- 10/29-10/31/2020 Annual Conference on Advancing School Mental Health: Equitable and Effective School Mental Health — Join the National Center for School Mental Health for its 25th annual conference, Oct. 29-31 in Baltimore! For more details and to register, visit the conference website.
Kirwan Commission Webinar
On August 12, 2019, MASBHC participated in a webinar outlining the numerous recommendations for school health services and school-based health centers made by the the Commission on Innovation and Excellence in Education (Kirwan Commission). We are pleased to present here the slides from that webinar. Many thanks to our partners in this endeavor, including the Maryland Dental Action Coalition (MDAC), the Maryland Nurses Association (MNA), and Public Policy Partners (PPP).
For more news, visit our State and National News page.