State and National News
Visit our State and National News page!
- 2/26/2020 MASBHC Webinar: Strategies and Resources to Build a Multi-tiered Approach to Trauma-Informed Schools — How can practitioners and school systems build trauma-informed schools for their students? On Feb. 26, 2020, MASBHC was pleased to present an informative webinar on this topic from Sharon Hoover, Ph.D., co-director of the National Center for School Mental Health. This webinar included both Dr. Hoover’s expert guidance and a number of freely available resources, and the entire presentation can now be viewed online!
- 5/14/2020 MASBHC Annual Conference — Our 2020 Technical Assistance Day, Pathways to Resilient Students, has been postponed and will not be held on the previously-announced date of May 14, 2020. Please stay tuned for more information and additional virtual technical assistance opportunities.
Continuing Education Opportunities and Webinars
- 3/31/2020 Strengths Based Approaches to Adolescent Sexual Health and Being an Askable Adult: Discussing sexuality and sexual activity with young people can be challenging, and research shows that health care providers can have a significant impact on health outcomes when adequately addressing these sensitive topics with their adolescent patients. This webinar will discuss and instruct about strengths-based approaches to sexual health counseling and services. This approach supports the idea that staff and providers in varied healthcare roles can create a climate where young people are more likely to discuss their sexual health openly and honestly. This session will also help participants identify strategies of being an askable adult to help empower youth and help them feel comfortable asking for your support. Presented by Lauren Leslie, the MPH Program Coordinator at the Adolescent Health Initiative in Ann Arbor. For more details and to register, visit the event’s registration page.
- 6/23-6/25/2020 National School-Based Health Care Convention — The 2020 National School-Based Health Care Convention will be held June 23-25 at the Sheraton Denver Downtown in Denver, Colorado. Join the School-Based Health Alliance, the Colorado Association for School-Based Health Care, and your peers from around the nation for three days of engaging workshops, networking, and fun! The theme for the meeting is “School-Based Health Care: Elevating a School Climate of Health and Safety.” Registration is now open; for more details, including registration fees, room block information, and cancellation policies, visit SBH4All’s website.
- 8/4-8/6/2020 School Health Interdisciplinary Program (SHIP): What Works in School Health and Wellness – Future Forward: SHIP, which is co-sponsored by the National Center for School Mental Health at the University of Maryland, the Maryland State Department of Education, the Maryland Department of Health, the Maryland Department of Human Services, the Maryland Department of Juvenile Services; and the Maryland State School Health Council, provides comprehensive training on coordinated school health and focuses on topics vital to school professionals. This year’s program will be held at the Sheraton Town Center in Columbia, Md. For more information and to register, visit SHIP’s website.
- 10/29-10/31/2020 Annual Conference on Advancing School Mental Health: Equitable and Effective School Mental Health — Join the National Center for School Mental Health for its 25th annual conference, Oct. 29-31 in Baltimore! For more details and to register, visit the conference website.
Kirwan Commission Webinar
On August 12, 2019, MASBHC participated in a webinar outlining the numerous recommendations for school health services and school-based health centers made by the the Commission on Innovation and Excellence in Education (Kirwan Commission). We are pleased to present here the slides from that webinar. Many thanks to our partners in this endeavor, including the Maryland Dental Action Coalition (MDAC), the Maryland Nurses Association (MNA), and Public Policy Partners (PPP).
For more news, visit our State and National News page.