On December 13, 2022, MASBHC presented a webinar on “Pediatric Oral Health Update” by Diana Capobianco, DDS, Growing Smiles. This presentation provides participants with useful tools and rules for assessing pediatric oral health. Topics include the urgency of care as well as when and where to refer. Growing Smiles founder, Dr. Diana Capobianco, is a pediatric dentist with over 20 years of experience in dentistry for children in Maryland.
To view the presentation, click here.
To view the PowerPoint, click here.
Resources and References for School Based Oral Health:
Maryland Office of Oral Health
Maryland Department of Health Flip Chart basic dental information
This flip chart, developed for childcare providers and school personnel, offers guidance for providing temporary assistance and relief during dental emergencies. The chart also discusses basic oral health principles, prevention, and care. It provides information about tooth brushing, teething, and flossing; dental first aid; oral ulcers and oral piercing complications; oral health services in Maryland; injury prevention; nutrition and oral health, child abuse and dental neglect; tooth eruption, gum inflammation, and tooth extraction complications; dental trauma; fluoride; water testing sites; and other related topics.
Maryland Dental Action Coalition
Mouth Healthy Smile Smarts American Dental Association
My Children’s Teeth Safety First
American Academy of Pediatric Dentistry Preventive Dental Visits Brief
Oral Health Information for Teachers and Nurses from the State of Rhode Island
America’s Tooth Fairy Oral Health Resources
Resource Guide from National Center Maternal and Child Oral Health
Integrating Sustainable Oral Health Services into Primary Care in School-Based Health Centers: A Framework School based programs
SDF application by medical providers
Oral Health Nursing Education and Practice (OHNEP):
- Video on 5 Essential Health Services – Caries risk assessment, clinical exam, fluoride varnish application, anticipatory guidance/education, establishing a dental home.
- Maryland Oral Health Resource Guide
- Brush, Book, Bed Parent handout
- Goal Setting for Caregivers
- Checklist for Antibiotic Prescribing
- ADA Caries Risk Assessment
- American Academy of Pediatric Dentistry Caries Risk Assessment
- Head Start Oral Health Form
- Dental Trauma Guidelines by the International Association of Dental Traumatology
- Dental Trauma Decision Tree by the Rhode Island Department of Health
- Fluoride Safety for Health Professionals
- Pocket Guide Oral Health Screening for School Nurses by the Ohio Department of Health
- AAP Oral Health Risk Assessment Tool
- HRSA Integrating Oral Health into Primary Care
- Tooth Arrival Chart
- Dental Trauma Diagnosis
- Bright Futures Oral Health Pocket Guide