The Maryland Assembly is an advocacy organization that promotes school-based health care as a means to advance the belief that all Maryland children and youth have a basic fundamental right to access and receive comprehensive, quality health care.
School-based health care represents an essential strategy toward improving the lives of Maryland’s children and their families and optimizing their ability to become contributing members of society. School-based health care addresses the unique needs of children and youth and increases access to medical, mental, dental and/or other health related services.
MASBHC’s biggest initiatives include our participation in Hallways to Health through the School Based Health Alliance, our annual conference, and our advocacy work.
MASBHC Receives 2022 Grant Award from the Maryland Department of Health Maternal Child Health Bureau
The Maryland Assembly on School Based Health Care (MASBHC) is delighted to announce it is the recipient of a grant from the Maryland Department of Health Maternal and Child Health Bureau (MCHB). The one-year grant began July 1, 2022. The grant funds will be used over the coming year to continue the support of MASBHCs exceptional technical assistance and training programs including:
- The planning and organizing of topical and informative webinars to be offered throughout the year
- The planning and implementation of the Maryland School Based Health Center Annual Spring Conference
- Other technical assistance projects as needed/identified during the year
Other grant funded activities for the organization will include:
- Working with the field to Improve and enhance SBHC information sharing and connections within the health care system using the Chesapeake Regional Information System (CRISP)
- Continued work on SBHC billing and claims issues
- Assisting in the planning and management of the MDH quarterly SBHC Administrators meetings
- Gathering of SBHC related information and data as needed through surveys and interviews
- Collecting exemplary national models of tools and expert documents and information to better assist and promote SBHC programs in Maryland
MASBHC looks forward to working closely with the staff at MDH MCHB for the coming year.
Upcoming Webinars & Events
The webinar, Don’t Miss Those Shots: Practical Strategies for Promoting Vaccination of Teens and Young Adults” was presented on August 10, 2022.
This webinar provided a review of the current vaccine landscape for adolescents and young adults, barriers to vaccination, and strategies to improve vaccination rates. Resources that can be used by healthcare providers to educate teens and parents on the various vaccines were shared. The importance of HPV vaccine in the prevention of cancer was discussed.
The speakers included Pilar Snowden, GlaxoSmithKline and Brian Mattingly, Maryland Department of Health, Comprehensive Cancer Control
To view the webinar, click here.
To view Pilar Snowden’s powerpoint, click here.
To view Brian Mattingly’s powerpoint, click here.