State and National News
Visit our State and National News page!
- 2/26/2020 MASBHC Webinar: Strategies and Resources to Build a Multi-tiered Approach to Trauma-Informed Schools — How can practitioners and school systems build trauma-informed schools for their students? On Feb. 26, 2020, MASBHC was pleased to present an informative webinar on this topic from Sharon Hoover, Ph.D., co-director of the National Center for School Mental Health. This webinar included both Dr. Hoover’s expert guidance and a number of freely available resources, and the entire presentation can now be viewed online!
- 4/29/2020 MASBHC Webinar: Neisseria meningitidis Disease State Overview — MASBHC was pleased to present an informative presentation on neisseria meningitidis, commonly known as meningococcal disease. Pilar B. Snowden, Ph.D. provided attendees with an overview of the disease, including transmission, risk factors, clinical manifestations, and diagnosis, treatment, and prevention strategies. This webinar was not recorded, but slides from the presentation are available upon request to email@example.com.
- 5/14/2020 MASBHC Annual Conference — Our 2020 Technical Assistance Day, Pathways to Resilient Students, has been postponed and will not be held on the previously-announced date of May 14, 2020. Please stay tuned for more information and additional virtual technical assistance opportunities.
Online Professional Development Opportunities
- 5/21/2020 at 2PM EST: SBHC COVID-19 Listening and Learning Sessions for Primary Care and Behavioral Health Clinicians: The School-Based Health Alliance invites SBHC primary care and behavioral health clinicians to join their peers from across the nation to discuss, share, and learn from each other on how SBHCs are responding to the COVID-19 pandemic. While the Alliance does not have all the answers, SBHA wants to provide support to SBHCs by connecting like individuals and facilitating peer-to-peer listening and learning opportunities.Each week, April 28th through May 21st, SBHA will host one listening and learning session. To maximize the ability for peer-to-peer sharing opportunities, each session is limited to 150 participants. We will record each session and post the archives on our website. To register for the session on May 21, visit SBHA’s website.
- School-Based Substance Use Identification and Intervention Training: Maryland’s Behavioral Health Administration funds free, online training for school-based substance use identification/intervention (Screening, Brief Intervention, Referral to Treatment = SBIRT). This training is available for all Maryland school support staff (e.g., school psychologists, counselors, social workers, nurses, SBHC staff, community-partnered school mental health clinicians), and is a highly-interactive, skill-based training that takes 60-90 minutes to complete. For more information or to access the training, view the program flier (Adobe Acrobat required).
- 6/23-6/25/2020 National School-Based Health Care Convention — The 2020 National School-Based Health Care Convention originally scheduled to be held June 23-25 at the Sheraton Denver Downtown in Denver, Colorado has been canceled. For more details, cancellation and refund policies and virtual professional development opportunities, visit SBH4All’s website.
- 8/4-8/6/2020 School Health Interdisciplinary Program (SHIP): What Works in School Health and Wellness – Future Forward: SHIP, which is co-sponsored by the National Center for School Mental Health at the University of Maryland, the Maryland State Department of Education, the Maryland Department of Health, the Maryland Department of Human Services, the Maryland Department of Juvenile Services; and the Maryland State School Health Council, provides comprehensive training on coordinated school health and focuses on topics vital to school professionals. This year’s program will be held at the Sheraton Town Center in Columbia, Md. For more information and to register, visit SHIP’s website.
- 10/29-10/31/2020 Annual Conference on Advancing School Mental Health: Equitable and Effective School Mental Health — Join the National Center for School Mental Health for its 25th annual conference, Oct. 29-31 in Baltimore! For more details and to register, visit the conference website.
Kirwan Commission Webinar
On August 12, 2019, MASBHC participated in a webinar outlining the numerous recommendations for school health services and school-based health centers made by the the Commission on Innovation and Excellence in Education (Kirwan Commission). We are pleased to present here the slides from that webinar. Many thanks to our partners in this endeavor, including the Maryland Dental Action Coalition (MDAC), the Maryland Nurses Association (MNA), and Public Policy Partners (PPP).
For more news, visit our State and National News page.