The Maryland Assembly is an advocacy organization that promotes school-based health care as a means to advance the belief that all Maryland children and youth have a basic fundamental right to access and receive comprehensive, quality health care.
School-based health care represents an essential strategy toward improving the lives of Maryland’s children and their families and optimizing their ability to become contributing members of society. School-based health care is addresses the unique needs of children and youth and increases access to medical, mental, dental and/or other health related services.
Our Mission and Goals
MASBHC’s mission is to promote and advance school-based health care as a mechanism to ensure that children and youth have access to quality health care services in a setting that is uniquely tailored to meet the needs of the students and the community. We work to ensure that schools and communities in Maryland have all the resources they need to provide quality health care services in order to enable each child to reach his or her full potential.
MASBHC’s goals are:
- To provide a unified voice for school-based health care at the local, state and national level
- To disseminate information from the national office to members at the state and local level
- To advocate for services, policies, funding, programs and other necessary support from legislators, agency staff, community-based organizations, and foundations for school-based health care
- To be the advocacy and information resource to local, state and national leaders and legislators on issues related to Maryland school-based health care and ensure that these leaders work to contribute, and to support the provision of school-based health care in Maryland
- To publicize the work of local school-based health programs
- To provide technical assistance and networking opportunities to local school-based health programs through professional development programs
- To create an organization that consistently implements effective policies and/or guidelines to support collaboration and community engagement within diverse communities
- To collaborate with and engage families, youth and their natural, informal support and helping networks within diverse communities